Redoing 1997 Scamp 5th Wheel Deluxe

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
Greg A
Greg A's picture
SOI-AdministratorLifetime Member
Awning Parts

I'm thinking those are the exact parts that are broken on the left leg. Haven't pulled it out yet, but can see the left leg is not all together.  sad

Our Trailers:
2015 19 Escape

Buying or Selling Molded FG Trailers:

Fiberglass-RV-4Sale

Earlene
Earlene's picture
Lifetime Member
Cleaning

I am impressed with how good the steam cleaner did on the rat fur. It sure looks like it made quite a differance

Launey and Earlene

ELongest
Lifetime Member
Awning leg

I thnik I used 3/4" aluminum sq. stock for the leg. At a local RV shop I found another awning knob with a floating nut plate. The locking "T" I filed out of 1/4" aluminum, I drilled for a countersunk for a screw then cut it to the correct wdith, I used a countersunk SS screw and nylock nut to attach  the locking T to the leg.  I was worried the locking T might get out of alignment but was careful and did not have an issue with it.

Greg A
Greg A's picture
Scamp 19 Continued

Well, it was only 107 today so I was able to get over and get back on the Scamp 5th wheel project now that the heat has broken. surprise

Started the Allure Slate Vinyl Plank Flooring. First section installed in the rear Dinette area:

Rear deck flooring completed. Next up I'll be installing the new water pump, filler inlet, and resetting the water tank on the passenger side and the converter, new power hatch on the driver side. 

These are my remodeled benches which go back in once the utilities are installed. They've now been faced with oak vinyl plank flooring where rat fur used to be and SS bolts, fender washers, and nylok nuts to attach the bed trim piece.

Our Trailers:
2015 19 Escape

Fiberglass-RV-4Sale

Earlene
Earlene's picture
Lifetime Member
down to 107 degrees

Greg,Only those of us that live out here in the west will understand the remark about the heat finally breaking and it getting down to a cool 107 ha....That floor is looking amazing,I had no doubt that it would be nice and Im not surprised,nice to see it coming along 

Launey and Earlene

jpalm
Flooring

New flooring looks great, and the rat fur looks like new.  Looking forward to seeing the rest of the renewal.

Greg A
Greg A's picture
19 Scamp Furnace

When one turned the furnace on it would run but never ignite. I assumed it just needed a cleaning and the seller swore they never used it. Bad on me, I should have opened the front plate and checked it. Did that yesterday and the entire burner assembly from the orifice to the burner access plate was missing. Electrode wire was just hanging in front of the opening to the burner chamber. Ordered all the parts and fortunately so far only about $40. I'm assuming that once I get the missing parts, clean and assemble, I'll once again have a working furnace.

Our Trailers:
2015 19 Escape

Fiberglass-RV-4Sale

Greg A
Greg A's picture
New Cabinet Hardware

One of the first things I do on my Scamps is change the cabinet hardware from the bronze standard Scamp hardware to a Satin Nickel. My wife and I both feel that it is one of the most impactful changes you can do that give the Scamps a more modern look.

I have all the cabinet doors restored and the new hardware on now. I'll be taking them over today to remount and will get more pics.

Here are the hinges I'm using:Amerock TEN3429-G10 Decorative Self Closing Face Mount Hinge, Satin Nickel, 10-Pack

Knobs:Allison Round Drawer Knob in Satin Nickel Finish (Set of 10)

Handles:Ultra Hardware 59156 Cabinet Hardware Handle Pull, Pack Of 20 Pulls

This is the first Deluxe Scamp I've had, so also I'm having to restore the entire wood finish and cabinetry as I go. I've been using: Howard RF3016 Restor-A-Finish, 16-Ounce, Golden Oak and have to tell you that this stuff is magic in a can for bringing the Scamp Wood finish back to new. I can't believe the difference this is making with a one-step wipe down. Some spots I clean first with a 00 steel wool, but very simple process.

Total cost to completely restore the wood and replace the hardware in the Scamp 5th Wheel Deluxe will be under $110.  Probably about 4-5 hours labor.

Our Trailers:
2015 19 Escape

Fiberglass-RV-4Sale

Earlene
Earlene's picture
Lifetime Member
new hardware

Wow Greg,those sure do look nice,I agree,just changing it out really updates and makes a differant look to things,same goes in ones house as well

Launey and Earlene

Snow Gypsy
Knobs & Pulls

We like the look of the nickel.  In our old house, because nothing new works that well, I spray painted our old knobs and pulls in the kitchen.  They look really good.  With constant in and out on about 1/3 of the drawer pull/knobs, the paint has lasted a couple of years and then I retouch.  I used Rust-oleum, hammered in silver and also did the heat vents, all for much less than buying new ones not to mention the chore of getting them to fit properly.

After messing with about 3 older houses, I'm not sure I could handle a redo on a trailer.  It always seemed like a good idea in the beginning but about 1/2 way through............

I admire anyone that can redo and repurpose though.  So much waste and so many of the stickies will end up as salvage and not a lot of what is there is worth much.

Cathy

Pages