2019 13 brakes

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
salukispeed
2019 13 brakes

We have a 2019 13 with trailer brakes. Only around 3-4,000 miles so far. I have needed to adjust the brake adjusters twice already and one side stays pretty good but the other changes 4-6 clicks each time. I marked the star wheel and it is not backing off . The wiring to the axles is not so good and I will improve it this spring to be more secure and reliable ( The ground came loose on one side  )  Is there a video or documentation specific to these new  brakes since Scamp does not use Dexter. which I am familiar.  I find that the left brake will lock up way easier than the right on gravel or wet. When properly adjusted they seem more even I can turn down the controller enough that it will not skid but then it is not very confidence inspiring. I have had 5 trailers with electric brakes and rarely had these issues.  Come spring I plan to disassemble both sides and check everything closely. It acts as if one side is actually assembled backwards for the opposite rotation resulting is very different aggressiveness.  Is this even possible. Thanks for some insight

PS I am using a Redarc controler on a Subaru Crosstrek. My cargo trailer with Dexter brakes does not do the same thing and is more predictable

ELongest
Lifetime Member
L&R brakes

Electric brakes are set up for the right and left side of the trailer. If you pull the hubs both brake magnet swing arms should be on the same side of the spindle. When Scamp was using Dexter axles they were using 7" brakes on the S-13's. I spoke with someone last week who had Scamp install a new replacement Lippert axle. The Lippert has 10 " brakes. I would pull the hubs and inspect the brakes. There is also spring loaded metal bracket or spring that contacts the adjuster to keep them from moving freely. I would also check them.

Eddie 

ac0gv
ac0gv's picture
LCI - Self Adjusting Trailer Brakes video

It sounds strange that they would wear unequally. Pulling the hubs for inspection will let you see unequal wear. It may warrant a call to LCI. Have you ever weighed it side to side? I know my 2017 is heavy on the right but my brakes will not lock up at full voltage. They also had never been set up from the factory. Picture is a cut and paste from internet pictures. This LCI video assumes that all is well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzy21hU2fcY

susaneevans
susaneevans's picture
Lifetime Member
Speaking of Brakes, Bearings and All That...

I am wondering if anyone can recommend someone in the Tucson area who would be good at helping me maintain my Scamp. I'm planning a big trip this summer and could use some help figuring things out. So far, I have not been overly impressed with Camp World. Thanks!

ac0gv
ac0gv's picture
Bearing service

isn't your Scamp new? Was it towed to your home or hauled on a trailer?

Almost any good trailer place, including horse or utility trailer place can do an inspection, brake adjust, and bearing lube.

Enjoy the trip!

salukispeed
Yes new

Yes we picked it up from Evelands last may.  Towed it home . I wil pull the wheels and hubs this spring and look for anything out of the norm.  I would appreciate any and all information I can get. Knowing what is there and correct is always better than going in blind or uninformed.

Thanks. 

2019 Scamp 13 standard

susaneevans
susaneevans's picture
Lifetime Member
New, Yes!

Mine is new, too. Drove it down from Minn., then took it to Yosemite for a month + and have done numerous little trips hear and there. I've put a few thousand miles on it, would like to put on an anti-sway bar, have the bearings and breaks checked, etc., for a trip up the coast in May to Oregon, Washington and Alaska an returning to Yosemite in August. Last thing I want is to be stuck somewhere in the toolies thinking "why didn't I get that checked" or "why don't I have that part?". Also, door lock failed on my way back from Quartzsite. I am getting used to being a trailer owner for the first time. :-) Would be happy for a trusted mechanic, here in Tucson, to walk me through some of the typical stuff for the first time.

ac0gv
ac0gv's picture
Brake inspection

Remember that you need not take it apart to get new grease in. However it would be a good idea to remove the hub and do a complete inspection.(that is if you have the LIPPERT SUPER LUBE AXLE    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s34pBejcQn0   )

salukispeed
lippert

Just to verify . are the 2019 axles made by Lippert on the 13 footer. weather and cover deters me from going out and looking in the folder in the trailer right now. 

2019 Scamp 13 standard