Honda Element okay for towing 13/16?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
bvalente
Honda Element okay for towing 13/16?

hello all,

we are looking at a 13 or 16 scamp. 

Wondering if our honda element will be okay for towing? don't have a lot of experience here. 

is the electronic brake assist option important?

Thanks for any input

Brian

mspgaff
mspgaff's picture
Lifetime Member
Specs

Brian, the specs for both the 13 and 16 can be found on the Scamp site, or you could use the link on this site that is found under the tab (resources) 

Know nothing about your vehicle and if it has a towing packing or transmission cooler, or its towing capacity.  You might want to check the manual or your dealer.   I do know Scamp will tell you a min. of a 6 cylinder, but then you need to do reality check of where are you going?   Mountain range?  Then too aside from weight issues, that hitch height has to be considered, for the 16 it's 21 inches.   And electric brakes, I would think absolutely unless you plan on parking this trailer.   I know you view safety as paramount.   This is the downside of towing anything, trailer, boat, etc.  there is always more involved than you might have initially thought about.   Let's say purchasing a trailer has been a learning experience, but a good one for safe traveling. 

Stay tuned in, I know the others have a lot to contribute to your inquiry.   

bpfick
specs

I see you've been left waiting.  Welcome aboard Brian.  Honda Element shows up in a google search as 1500 lb tow capacity.  Check your owner's manual and/or consult your dealer.  You also did not say if is an automatic or manual transmision. Automatics need trans cooler to prevent over heating while towing in tough conditions.

Electric brakes are a must with a Scamp 16 and highly advised for the 13' although not all 13' had the brake option installed.

The 16' Scamp is above the towing capacity of the Element, as stated by the unverified google search.  The typical 16 will weigh 1700+ dry without a bath and perhaps as much as 2000 dry with the bath option.  Loaded with gear for camping, they typically weighed 2600 pounds as measured in the Real World Trailer weight database.

The Scamp 13 used to weigh around 1200 pounds dry, but they've gotten a bit heavier throughout the production years and our 2016 weighed 1480 dry.  The smaller the camper the less amount of gear is typically packed into it.  Also be advised that 3 or 4 passengers and having the rear compartment of the Element loaded with gear also "counts" against the ability of the drivetrain to handle everything.  

Those are thumb nail sketches but I hope this was helpful to you.

bvalente
Thanks that's great input. I

Thanks that's great input. I appreciate the details and its exactly the kind of general guidance I was hoping to get

brain 

jzaman1
Element towing

Hi, Newbie here. We bought a 1981 13' Scamp about 6 weeks ago. We've been pulling with a 2005 Honda Element. One of the main reasons we went with a Scamp, particularly the 13', was b/c the Element's towing capacity is so low (1500lbs). So far so good. Pulled some big long hills thru the Flint Hills of Kansas. 

I'm certainly no expert on cars or towing and am still kind of confused on an issue. I read to turn overdrive off, especially when pulling hills. From what I've found, it does so much better with OD on. Which I think is harder on the tranny? But with OD off, it seems much harder on the motor...long stretches of +4000rpm, so that doesn't seem good either. So I guess I could probably use some advice as well. Another note I think I read that Element's have their own internal tranny cooler. Talked to a mechanic who said that he could put a cooler on, but jacking with the original system and risking additional failures doesn't seem worth the benefit.

Long story longer, personally I wouldn't try to tow a 16' with an Element. Hope this helps and hope someone who knows more will weigh in.

Thanks

Gordon2
In the vehicles I have towed

In the vehicles I have towed with, where I could monitor the transmission fluid temperature, the fluid always stayed cooler with overdrive OFF.

Yes, the engine spins faster, and as far as I can tell I lose (no more than) one MPG with overdrive off.  However, excessive heat (and overly hot fluid), esp. for extended time, is what kills transmissions and if you don't have a way to monitor that, then it is hard to tell how hard the towing is on the transmission.  

The ability of the tug to cool the transmission fluid is but one of a number of factors that vehicle manufacturers use to determine tow rating.  Adding an after market cooler might help but you should be OK to tow at your vehicle's rating (for the most part).  Still, when climbing long hills, and on a hot day in stop-and-go traffic, the temp will rise but usually not for too long.

I have about 3500 RPMS at 65 MPH - 4,000 sounds a little high.. maybe you can drive slower?

jzaman1
Thanks

So what causes a transmission to run hot? I guess I don't understand why it would be different? I'm sure it is but dont get why if engine is not running harder, at least rpm-wise? Thanks

Gordon2
When towing, clutches and

When towing, clutches and bands slipping from the extra weight generate heat, esp. if over limit and/or under heavy load form hill climbing, etc. Also the tranny may "hunt" for the right gear more often in overdrive. Summer heat does not help but internal friction is the main issue.