towing a 16 ' scamp with a 2015 Outback Premium - is it reasonable ?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
macnmore
Lifetime Member
towing a 16 ' scamp with a 2015 Outback Premium - is it reasonable ?
macnmore
Lifetime Member
towing a 16' Scamp with an outback

I just sold my 2012 CR-V due to it's limited towing capacity ( 1500 ) and and I like to order a 16 Scamp with toilet , etc . Towing with a small car is new to me and any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated . Thanks

ELongest
Lifetime Member
2011 Outback Scamp towing

You can't get the tongue weight close to 200 lbs. with a S-16 which is what the Outback calls for. My 4cyl outback does pretty good with a S-13 front bath, you can get the tongue weight to real close to 200 lbs. I was getting about 22mpg flatland towing and had plenty of power with the S-13. The opinion of most Outback owners over at the molded fiberglass website is the S-16 not a good combination for the outbacks current or older body styles. I towed a stripped down S-16 for 300 miles with the 2011 OB and do not care to to it again.

Eddie

Anything towed over 1000 lbs. requires elec. brakes.

macnmore
Lifetime Member
It would appear I better only

It would appear I better only consider the 13' 

MarilynB
Good decision

Macnmore, I anguished with the same dilema for months. I wanted the roominess of a 16' layout #4 but my towing vehicle is a 2013 Subaru Outback. I was getting mixed advice from everyone, including the Subaru dealership. Then one of the Forum visitors (Steve P) sent me a link to Fredrick Simpson'sTrailer Weights in the Real World and that was the deciding factor for me.

I'm now the proud owner of a 2004 13' w/bathroom Scamp that follows my Outback beautifully. In the hilly areas, my best mileage and shifting was at 60mpg and I could do 65mpg on the flats. Little Scamp is now undergoing new electrical updates and I'll be lit up with LED mini lights like a Christmas tree.

There are modifications to open the space in the 13'. If I ever learn how to take and transfer pictures, I'll send them on when I'm done with this project: I took the table out and stashed it for future resale. I'm going to have three boards, 15" wide (3 @ 15 = 45" table length) and the same width and thickness as the table. One 15" board will sit on the bench ledge right up to the back wall for either cushion-covered U-shaped seating or bare wood for an end table. Depending on how wide I am, a second 15" board will be a 30" single sleeping area and add the third one for 45" when #1Guy is with me. The two 15" not in use will be easy to stash during the day. The guitar will live in the bathroom when not in use and travel in the Subaru.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

MarilynB

2013 Subaru Outback

2004 Scamp 13' w/bathroom

macnmore
Lifetime Member
Thanks Marilyn - Your

Thanks Marilyn - Your response is very helpful and like you , I'm going with the 13' - it just seems to avoid a lot of problems I don't need with my 2015 outback

KReed
KReed's picture
Lifetime Member
2013 Subaru 2.5i tow 2013 16' Scamp

For several months last year I too analyzed, researched, and discussed on several forums and with several RV professionals as well as the local Subaru dealers whether or not my 2013 Subaru was adequate to tow a 16' Scamp. I purchased my 2013 Outback with the intent of using it to car camp and one day as a tow vehicle. For many, many months I chased down ads for used fiberglass trailers. What an experience - like chasing butterflies or herding cats. However, I did learn a lot from communications with the sellers. Then right when I decided to order a 16’ Scamp plan 4 from the manufacturer, the very one I wanted was for sale in Idaho. I bought it 45 minutes after the ad was posted online. I was in Seattle for Thanskgiving and drove to Idaho to pick up “my guy” the first of December. For the month of December, I traveled from Post Falls, Idaho to Austin, Colorado via Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, and Utah through sunshine, down pouring rain, an ice storm, and snow fall over flat land, rolling hills, and steep climbs. “My Guy” just tagged along like a duckling following its mom. The only problem I had was with backing up into a campsite. I’m still working on technique, but getting better with each attempt - it's like trying to back up a balloon.

Since arriving back in Colorado, I’ve done some customization. I too removed the dining table and turned that area in seating with footstool  and added light weight shelving to hold my Web TV and laptop when in use. The shelving doubles as table top and foundation boards for converting area into a bed. What I’ve added weighs less than the table top, which went into storage. Also, moved the top bunk down six inches and cut memory foam to fit, and turned the bottom bunk area into storage with light weight cloth baskets to hold necessary clothing. The sofa cushions also went into storage if needed for future resale. 

The first of May I hope to begin my full-time RV experience.  The short of this long response is that I pull a 2013 16' Scamp with a 2013 Outback 2.5i no problem. However, I do not drive over 55mph (posted speed limit for towing in most states) and am very conscious of weight and always try to apply the addage "less is more." The Subaru specs state 2700lbs tow capacity and I validate that "My Guy" is well under the recommended weight. So far I've not found the need to transport water from state to state because most campsites do have water hookups, so that eliminates a lot of weight. Like when backpacking, just consider the weight and necessity of everything you carrry.

Happy Scamping!

Krestine

piperjim
Making an Automatic Transmission last as long as possible

About 12 years ago I had to have the transmission in my '99 Dodge Ram 1500 (1/2 ton) pickup rebuilt at 120K miles.  When I picked it up, I asked the mechanic, "Now that you've rebuilt this transmission, how do I make it last as long as possible?"  

His reply was something like this, "The first item to know is that I've added an auxillary transmission oil cooler.  Your original set-up, even though Dodge called it a 'tow package', was not adequate for towing anything more than a small fishing boat.  Second, never use the overdrive when you're towing, never.  Third, service the transmission as recommended.  That means change tranny fluid and filter every 40K miles for this vehicle.  You do these three things, and you'll get the most possible life out of this, or any, automatic transmission."  

I've since added 190K miles on that rebuilt tranny, so I think he gave me good advice!!  Just passing it along for general information for those new to towing.

piperjim  

Flyboyscamp
Flyboyscamp's picture
Lifetime Member
Towing

i have a Ford Escape, the last year one could get a V-6 in it (2012). The dealership said no problem towing in overdrive, as long as it was flat and that the tranny did not,have downshift. I also had a tranny cooler installed for good measure. 

<p>Doug Allen 2016 Ford F-150 2018 Lance 1575</p>