1983 13' Scamp Entrance Door Issues

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dyurik
1983 13' Scamp Entrance Door Issues

I've had my Scamp for over a year now and it has a bad tendency to allow the door to swing open while I am driving down the road. After the first trip I have been using a bungie cord to hold the door closed after locking it and that seems to work in keeping everything in the Scamp on travel days. I'll post pictures of the door and what we have found as soon as I can.

Thank you in advance;

Maine Scamp
Maine Scamp's picture
Door opening

I have the same problem on my '84 ; I  use a bungee cord attached to inside door pull back to a coat rack over the closet door.  It works to stop the door opening when on the road. I'll try to attach a photo to this post.

The door latch is only catching the strike plate half way. I'm considering trying to lower the strike plate. See second photo.

Sorry..I can't upload photos ; this website is difficult to maneuver. 

Contact me for photos if you'd like to see my solutions 

mccownw
mccownw's picture
Lifetime Member
Keeping door closed with bungee cords

I too use bungee cords...to keep the door tight to the body AND closed while traveling.  But I hook the bungees through small holes drilled above the bottom trim; the other end of the bungees are hooked on large staples underneath the floor. See photos (sorry they posted upside down!)

(

Paul O.
Here is a description of my

Here is a description of my solution to the door problem, now in use for about ten years and it still serves us well.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/scamp-door-opens-while-towing-85...

-Paul
2004 Scamp 19 Deluxe,
2021 Tacoma, Double Cab, 6 cyl. 4WD
Colorado

Oscarscrib
Oscarscrib's picture
leaky door

Discovered the door on our 2017 13' Scamp is leaking.  Bottom edge of the rat fur is discolored, and after we washed the outside of the trailer this evening we discovered that the inside of the door from top to bottom was damp, as well as the curtain.  Any suggestions or remedies?  We are not mechanical geniuses.

Judy

Dyurik
Have you checked that the

Trailer:
1983 13' Scamp Trailer

Tow Vehicle:
2004 GMC Envoy

Sunfish
Sunfish's picture
door leak

Judy, start simple.  Go to Home Depot (Lowes and Ace Hardware might have it) and go to the section with window insulation.  Look for RV rubber insulation rolls.  I am partial to rubber rather than foam insulation strips.  Choose the widest and thickest that will work.  If you have a bad leak or gap, you might be able to apply the insulation to the frame and to the door.  If your door does not leak much driving in a rain storm, you might be able to live with it.  Just be careful washing the door.  If you still have a serious leak when on the road, you will have to do something more major.  Someone else might have ideas for more major corrective measures. Jim

Oscarscrib
Oscarscrib's picture
Thanks Jim, that makes a lot

Thanks Jim, that makes a lot of sense.  It isn't a bad leak, but we did spray up under the metal shield/roof/trough (whatever you call it) over the door when we washed it, so I think you are probably right.  We are enthusiastic trailer washers!  We will be at Home Depot tomorrow.

Judy

Dyurik
This is how I've been keeping

This is how I've been keeping mine closed for the past year and 3 months

Trailer:
1983 13' Scamp Trailer

Tow Vehicle:
2004 GMC Envoy