Pulling 16' with 2017 Outback 4cyl

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
mk evenson
mk evenson's picture
Lifetime Member
Pulling 16' with 2017 Outback 4cyl

I figure it is borderline, but there is a sweet 16' just posted today at a great price. Crazy?

Mark

Greg A
Greg A's picture
SOI-AdministratorLifetime Member
Not Lookin Good

Specs on the Outback 4cyl are a bit sketchy, but from what I can find it wouldn't be a safe tow vehicle for a 16. Looks like it is claiming 2700 lbs capacity (which many on the forums are questioning), but a tongue weight of 200 lbs.

Based on those numbers I wouldn't recommend going past the 13.

Our Trailers:
2015 19 Escape

Buying or Selling Molded FG Trailers:

Fiberglass-RV-4Sale

mk evenson
mk evenson's picture
Lifetime Member
TV

Greg, my brain agrees, my heart....... welll.

Thanks

Thanks for making us feel so welcome.
If you have a choice, Please buy, "Made in America"

MarilynB
4 cyl Outbacks and 16' Scamps

I pulled a 16' Scamp with my 2013 4-cylinder Subaru Outback last summer in the Minnesota flatlands at granny speeds with no problems. However, it became apparent that if I wanted to do any mountain areas or high speed interstate travel, I'd need to upsize the tow vehicle. I now have a six-cylinder Outback 2017 which will do the trick. 

MarilynB

mk evenson
mk evenson's picture
Lifetime Member
TV

Marilyn, thanks for the input. I have thought about going back to to the Subaru dealer to see how much it would cost to trade my 4 cyl with 600 miles for a 6 cyl. Unfortunately the tow rating on the 6 cyl is still 2700 lbs and hitch weight rating of 200 lbs. However it sounds like you are not having issues with the weight. Can you tell me the difference in MPG 4 cyl vs 6 cyl . I bought the 4 cyl because we will be taking 2-3 trips per year in snow season to Wyo from Calif and I wanted to save some money on fuel costs. I may not realize that much however as the 4 cyl may be working harder than the 6 cyl climbing the Sierras .

Ah, decisions, decisions !

Mark

billinwv
TV

We have a 2012 Outback, 6cyl with a 13 footer, no bath. We had problems with getting the 7-pin connector installed because the 4 vendors (one private, three Subaru dealers) would not touch the power wire to the trailer. Essentially all they would do is install the wires for a 4-flat. Our 13' is over the tongue weight for the Outback but we decided to go for it anyway. Good news is we traveled 6,000 miles over 8 weeks last summer towing it west to MT and back with no problems in the mountains of western MT, Dakotas and WY. We got about 10mpg less than without the camper (20mpg vs 30mpg). My advice to anyone tryng to use an Outback for towing is NO. From what I have learned from three Subaru dealers in VA, MT and MO is that the Subaru is not made for towing despite what the television ads may indicate.

billinwv

2016 - 13'

2012 Outback, 6cyl

bill & valerie 2016 13' 2017 Kia Sorento EX V6, AWD

mk evenson
mk evenson's picture
Lifetime Member
Towing with Subie

Bill and Valerie, thank you for your comments. Fortunately I have until Sept, If I decide to change vehicles.

mk evenson
mk evenson's picture
Lifetime Member
3.6L Subaru

Well I went to the dealer. I stand corrected. The 6 cyl tow rating is 3000lbs. Unfortunately even tho I only have 700 miles on my 4cyl, it would cost me $10K to trade it on a new 6 cyl. Too rich for my blood!

Greg A
Greg A's picture
SOI-AdministratorLifetime Member
Tongue weight

Did they say what the tongue weight was on that one? The problem with the tow specs on the Subies isn't the capacity necessarily, it is the tongue weight restriction.

Our Trailers:
2015 19 Escape

Buying or Selling Molded FG Trailers:

Fiberglass-RV-4Sale

JFreed
JFreed's picture
Lifetime Member
tongue weight

The tongue weight on the Outback is limited to 200 pounds.  If yours is heavier than that, it tends to lift the front of the vehicle slightly making it hard to steer and causes a lot of sway.  We had a Caravan with that problem, and had to buy a weight-equalizing hitch to cure it.  Expensive and a pain to attach and remove.

mk evenson
mk evenson's picture
Lifetime Member
weight equalizing hitch

J Freed, thanks.  I have installed a class 111 weight distributing hitch to the Subie . I will be towing a 13' Scamp and will attempt to keep the hitch weight at or below 200 lbs. Thanks for the info.