New ball mount for 2016 Jeep Cherokee....

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Picnic42
New ball mount for 2016 Jeep Cherokee....

Can anyone tell me the height of the "bottom of the tongue" (not up into the cup) on the Scamp 13 footer as it sits level?  There is nothing level on my whole property,  I get 12 inches in one spot and 12 1/2 in another then in the driveway I get about 9 inches because of the driveway not being level.  

I called E trailer for a bit of help and they are very informative and helpful.  BUT... I just need to verify that our lower than average Scamps are level at about 12 inches!

I have been all set with a 5 1/4 inch drop on my Wrangler...  when on level ground it is bubble level while driving.    Now with a new Cherokee, the hitch receiver is much higher in the bumper.  According to E trailer she had me measure from the inside top of the receiver on the bumper to the ground (21 inches) and with the Scamp tongue at 12 inches... I would need a 9 inch drop??????

I am getting confused... we intend to be out camping locally for a test run with the new Cherokee this Friday, for the weekend.

Thanks

Ralph & Peggy

ac0gv
ac0gv's picture
Hitch height (top of ball?)

FROM:  http://www.scamptrailers.com/ask-scamp/towing-your-trailer/before-you-go...

Hitching your Scamp

Securely hitch your Scamp to the towing vehicle: You should have a 2 inch ball hitch for towing your Scamp. Prior to 2005, most 13 foot trailers used a 1 and 7/8 inch ball. The ball hitch height on the tow vehicle should be about 18 inches high for the 13 foot trailer and 21 inches high for the 16 foot trailer.

Picnic42
Thanks...  I have read that

Thanks...  I have read that and even heard David at Scamp say the same thing when he did the walk thru with us.  My hitch ball on my Wrangler actually sits at 16 5/8 high.  The Scamp travels at bubble level at that ball height!!!  

I still need the measurement of a 13 foot scamp at the underside of the tongue (not up in the cup of the tongue) on level ground.  Unfortunately there is no level ground in my yard or especially in the driveway.  According to Etrailer they measure from the top inner surface of the receiver on the vehicle to the ground and subtract the height of the trailer at level measuring from the underside of the tongue.  This will give the ball drop needed to be bubble level.

Thanks for your input...

Ralph

ac0gv
ac0gv's picture
Ball 16 5/8 high

That may be why so many Scamps look like they are running up hill. I like to tow with the front up slightly but not so that people notice .

Kenny