New 2021 16' Scamp Leaking

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rick Rabe
New 2021 16' Scamp Leaking

Hi,

We have a brand new, never been used 16' Scamp delivered in November.  Our problem is a water leak.  The trailer was delivered empty and no water in any tank.  If we get a heavy rain the seam between the floor and the side gets wet inside the lower closet.  We also get water on the floor next to the door.  I am working with Scamp to find the leak but so far no luck.  I've done hose tests above the door - no water and above the refrigerator vent, again no water.  Whenever we get a heavy rain, we get water.  I've put a photo of where the water is appearing.  Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Front closet - where water collects, just along the front seam, nothing towards the door.

Area where water accumulates next to door.

LEberhardt
Lifetime Member
Leak

Most Scamp water leaks are from loose rivets.  Unusual, but not impossible, on a new one.  Any water that gets in follows the path of least resistance down to the floor.  Check outside for any loose rivets by trying to wiggle the white rivet cap.  If it moves, it probably leaks and needs to replaced and properly sealed.

Wstpc
Leaks

Take her to the quarter car wash. Spray a section at a time. Kinda doubt the rivet theory as those leaks will be small little drips. Think the door window seal drains might be more likely. 
Good luck, jim

ac0gv
ac0gv's picture
Add TV antenna

Add the TV antenna, door hold back, and the tow vehicle electric cable to the list.The insulation of a Scamp will channel the water all the way to the floor before it shows up. Sprinkle talc or something dry on the floor and it may help follow the flow.

salukispeed
Door hinges

The door hings can be problematic too and have 3   1/4 inch holes each into the upper and lower closet might need re sealing to the body along with the door hold

2019 Scamp 13 standard

Rick Rabe
Update on leak

Well, we had a big rain and so I sat inside with a flashlight and towel.  I notice a little run of water coming onto the floor (which I though used to come out of the closet).  Turnsout the leak is on the other side from the door.  Still not sure exactly where but the water was dripping in the little closet next to the furnace.  It may be coming in the exhaust for the furnace, the bathroom vent, or who knows where.  I'll  check the rivet covers just to make sure, none of them on that side look all that snug against the fiberglass shell.

Rick

LEberhardt
Lifetime Member
The snap covers may not look

The snap covers may not look snug against the shell.  That's OK.  They snap onto a plastic washer as part of an assembly.

If that assembly can be wiggled back and forth, it probably leaks.

Check the entire area.  As has been mentioned, water travels under the insulation.

Rick Rabe
Leak Found

Thanks for all the suggestions.  The leak was from the air inlet to the furnace not being seated against the cover and not being properly sealed.  Scamp is sending me a kit their maintenance people have made up to repair the install.  I'lll video and take pictures of the process (successful or otherwise).  To their credit, Scamp said "Take it someplace to find the leak and repair it and we will pay the bill."  Of course, getting into any place that repairs RV's in mid-April is like trying to find someone to do your taxes on April 14th!  So, I'll be doing the repair myself.  Will let you know.

Rick