Electrical Fire in my 2021 Scamp

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
paschkedj
Electrical Fire in my 2021 Scamp

Hello All,

I just wanted to check in and perhaps alert some Scamp owners to the possibility of an electrical fire.  I did have an electrical fire in my 2021 Scamp.  It has been totaled and now I am looking for another camper.  Apparently it is not easy to claim negligence when an electrical fire is involved.  My camper was relatively undamaged, in fact you can't see the damage.  Everything on the inside and outside of the trailer is fine.  The damage lies around the front of the Scamp and involves the wiring.  The mechanic who looked at my camper thinks the leveling jack, which was on the floor of the front closet, came in to contact with wires as I was driving.  This is what happened -  I arrived at my campsite, set up the camper and then sat down at the picnic table only to notice smoke billowing out of the refrigeration door on the outside.  It was a terrifying several minutes as I tried to get the refrigeration door open and then fortunately a nearby fellow camper came running with his fire extinguisher!   Ultimately, it was totaled by the insurance company because of the cost of labor to fix it.  I am so heartbroken.  I hope my story may help others.  Don't leave your leveling jack, or anything metal,  on the floor of your camper, if you are using your battery to keep your refrigerator running.  Happy camping all - enjoy the last days of warm weather! 

Gloria
Gloria's picture
Heartbreaking!

I am so sorry this happened! But I am glad that no one was hurt! Did the jack come into contact with wiring in the closet? I have wondered why trailer manufacturers don't run wires through conduit rather than leaving them exposed in closets and cabinets.

Gloria

paschkedj
Yes, it was wiring in the

Yes, it was wiring in the closet.  I had no idea that something like this could happen!  I'm so thankful I had insurance or I would have been out almost $20,000 through no fault of my own!

Jean DePue Paschke

Gloria
Gloria's picture
Insurance is a must!

Yes! So glad you had insurance! I wonder how difficult it would be to gut and rebuild that poor Scamp. Such a shame to total it.

Gloria

paschkedj
It really doesn't need to be

It really doesn't need to be gutted.  As I said, everything is fine - except the wiring.  My husband and I have no way to dig in and try and fix this.  The camper repair shop is charging  $189 an hour with 49 hours estimated to fix it.  So .... it seems the best thing is to let it go.  The repair shop does want me to sell it to them at $600 above salvage cost and then they can repair it and sell it!!    Hmmm......

Jean DePue Paschke

Gloria
Gloria's picture
WHAT?!?

If it's looking good and just needs to be re-wired, you should demand a whole lot more than that!!! It's likely worth thousands, not hundreds.

Gloria

Paul O.
I would fix it myself instead

I would fix it myself instead of trying to find a new/used one that might cost a fortune. Can you take whatever the insurance company gives you and keep it? And, maybe, look for a different RV repair shop? Sell it? There is a lot of people on these Fiberglass RV forums who are very handy.

-Paul
2004 Scamp 19 Deluxe,
2021 Tacoma, Double Cab, 6 cyl. 4WD
Colorado

paschkedj
If my husband and I were

If my husband and I were younger or had ANY mechanical ability I would agree; we would try to fix it ourselves.   I have very fortunately been able to buy another Scamp.  I hope our experience will encourage others to check their wiring and not put anything in that bottom closet that might cause a short and then a fire.  

Jean DePue Paschke

mccownw
mccownw's picture
Lifetime Member
It shouldn't take more than 4

It shouldn't take more than 4 hours, NOT 49!

paschkedj
I feel  you are probably

I feel  you are probably right and that someone wanted to make some money off my loss.    I hope others can learn from this - as for me, I have to move on and not hold onto anger that can't be resolved in what I feel is a fair way.  I am happy I have found another camper and will be back on the road soon!

Jean DePue Paschke