2019 Door hinge

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
salukispeed
2019 Door hinge

Just looked closely at the door hinges on our 2019 13 with bath and the upper hinge has a tiny crack on the body mounted portion. at the point where the door side hinge attaches. Also the pin only passes thru the upper bushing and the lower bushing is unsupported making the hinge less stable/secure. The pin appears to be 1/2 inch shorter ( cut ) than the one in the lower hinge assembly possibly trying to get better function from an out of align hinge. The crack is small but they rarely get better. We are headed to southern IL in the am and Now I am concerned. I know of one other later model that the door fell off. I just contacted and emailed Scamp for assistance . They did not answer a phone call this morning yet the message says they are open until Noon CST.  The difficult compound curves of the scamp makes hinge and door operation tricky but it should not crack in 14 months. I hope Scamp will comment and help on Monday. Does anyone else see this issue on theirs?  

susaneevans
susaneevans's picture
Lifetime Member
Bolts

I am also interested in hearing about this issue. I've had some trouble with my bolts coming loose, and with the door shutting and locking properly. I replaced some bolts once and it took 2 of us to hold the door in place, while simultaneously tightening the outside acorn nut and turning the hex wrench inside. I should have adding some caulk or glue, too, cause it fell apart, again. Any insights are welcome.

Larrywk
Larrywk's picture
Door hinge

I have a 2018 Scamp 16. I purchased new and after only 6 months from the factory I noticed that the top door hinge had developed a significant crack. I called Scamp and they sent me a new one under warranty. They told me they would notify the hinge manufacturer that there was a problem with there hinge.  I was concerned that the hinge would completely fail and the door would fall off. I also had a problem while still under warranty with the door handle. The dead bolt came loose and when the door was shut it  slid into the locked position and there was no way to move it from outside with key or inside with deadbolt lever. Fortunately my wife was inside and was able to take a knife and get into the door jamb and slide it back. I had to tape it flush with the door so it wouldn't slide out from centrifugal force when closing the door. Scamp sent me a new door latch under warranty. I took the old door latch apart and the problem was two screws that are under the inside cover had come loose allowing the dead bolt to slide freely in or out completely loose. Could easily be locked out. For this reason I now always leave back window unlocked so I can get in if this happens again.

salukispeed
Up Up Date

I contacted Scamp on Sat with an Email to "contact us" and first thing Monday Am The service people from Scamp called me and offered to help as needed.I am very confident I can swap the hinges so no issue.  I was already 300 miles away but they offered to send me the replacement hings to where we would be next or home or what ever they could do.  I continued to watch the hinge carefully thru the trip and it did not deteriorate so no problem When We got home today the new hinges are here as promised and are exactly the same dimensions but now made from Power coated steel instead of pot metal/aluminum so this should be a closed issue once I swap them out. I will report again once I try the swap.  Things happen and I believe Scamp stepped up to make this right for me. I can not tell you that the door hinge would fail but Just the concern  and Scamps reaction and  I am good.

Bolts

The new design hinges are very different than the 2016 and  earlier

2019 Scamp 13 standard

salukispeed
changed

My wife and I tackled just the upper hinge replacement and it was a challenge but worked.  The hinge material is 1/2 the thickness of the pot metal  original so I needed to remove 3 threads from length of the door fasteners so they would tighten properly before bottoming in the Cap nuts. It fit well on the door after that. The body side was a little different. the drilled holes and shape was nearly exactly the same but the original black plastic spacer was designed to work with the cast hinge and the new steel hinge did not have the recesses/pockets  to match the plastic spacer. I was able to remove the raised areas on my Belt sander so the hinge sat correctly and I chose to slightly reshape the taper on the spacer ( More taper )  to better fit the body for less stress  thru the  swing of the door. I also replaced  the inside washers with larger diameter ones to spread any stress over a wider area. I will need to re shim the upper door gasket to better seal but this is normal procedure based on the foam rubber material behind the door seal at the top from the factory. It is not an plug and play  operation but not terrible either. It took me a couple hours because I went slowly and cautiously to get a good  result.  New hinges alone would get by if one was in a pinch due to a damaged one. I will tackle the lower hinge when time and patience allows. It does not show the same cracking the top hinge did.

2019 Scamp 13 standard

susaneevans
susaneevans's picture
Lifetime Member
Thanks!

Thanks for sharing your experience. We tried to get everything lined up, but we couldn't get the lock to work, so we took the Scamp in. It took the shop people a while, but now the door works better and the lock and bolt close without a struggle. Totally worth it! When I drove it home, the door didn't pop open, as it has, on our dirt road. The service person at Scamp got me the part quickly and I am most grateful for his support. On to the next adventure!