Towing with Lexus RX350

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
BonesD
Towing with Lexus RX350

Great site!

I'm a wannabe Scamp camper. I have a 2008 Lexus RX350 with 3.5  v6. I am hoping the  towing capacities should be just fine for a 13 ft lightly loaded Scamp.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this similar vehicle?

It did not come with a factory tow package.

What is the difference in weight between the toilet shower version vs bunk beds?

What is the typical tongue height on a 13 ft Scamp, some load ,no load, just a starting point please?

I have installed the tow bar(Curt) and wiring harness and am looking forward to finding my Egg, I just want to get it as right as possible before starting.

Thought I found a great deal on Craigslist but it turned out to be a scam.

Thanks

Greg A
Greg A's picture
SOI-AdministratorLifetime Member
Towing RX350

Welcome to the clubhouse!

Seems to have a 3500lb tow capacity so you should be fine with 13 or 16 Scamp.

I'd highly recommend that you primarily search for your trailer on this site and our sister site fiberglass-rv-4sale

​We've been at this a long time and while a Scam listing can possibly slip by us it would be very rare. Plenty of Scamps right now available, but they do go fast especially the deals which are gone usually in under an hour.

Our Trailers:
2015 19 Escape

Buying or Selling Molded FG Trailers:

Fiberglass-RV-4Sale

BonesD

Thank you, I have been looking at these two sites you mentioned. The scam started on Craigslist and then I was told the camper with title etc had been entrusted to eBay. They were to supply address to send money and said eBay would deliver it.. Sure didn't sound kosher to me. Anyway, they had pulled the add from Craigslist but I reported them to eBay.

I am willing to drive for a pickup but am still looking for a good deal. I looked on the Scamp site but did not see a reference to weights with or without toilet/shower. Is it significant?

Thanks again

Bones

BonesD

Greg A
Greg A's picture
Weights

All the Scamp floor plans are in our resources--buy new by model. The specs on the sheet give a dry weight range based on options. With front bath use the top figure for the dry weight estimate.

Our Trailers:
2015 19 Escape

Fiberglass-RV-4Sale

BonesD
a

Thanks for directing me.  So the Toilet/shower option is lighter?  I would have guessed the other way around.

Thank you

BonesD

Greg A
Greg A's picture
toilet bath would be heaviest

No, the toilet bath would be the heaviest on the range listed.

Our Trailers:
2015 19 Escape

Fiberglass-RV-4Sale

BonesD
No toilet bath would be the

No toilet bath would be the heaviest on the range listed?

or

No (comma),toilet bath would be the heaviest on the range listed?

Your info in original post indicated the upper figure listed would be for the toilet bath floor plan.

Sorry to be so dense but if I am correct then the toilet bath version is the heavier floor plan.

Thanks

BonesD

LEberhardt
Lifetime Member
Scamp 16' Towing

We tow a Scamp '16, porta-potti only, 2350 lbs. loaded, with our '08 Highlander Hybrid -  no special towing package.  It's basically the hybrid version of your car - 3500 lb. towing capacity.  It works great.

Lynn

BonesD
Thank you Lynn. That's great

Thank you Lynn. That's great information. I am searching for the smaller 13 foot version and it's good to know I won't be pushing the limits with my tow vehicle.  Thanks again  Bones

BonesD

Defenestrator
Note that the 3500Lb towing

Note that the 3500Lb towing capacity on the RX350 is specifically for models with the factory tow package.  The tow package has a bigger alternator and radiator, as well as a transmission cooler.  It doesn't add any frame reinforcement or bigger brakes, though.  

A 13' Scamp would be right around the 1500Lb range, which is what the RX350's rated for without the tow package.  Since the brakes and suspension are the same as the version rated for 3500Lbs, I'd say towing the 13' should be just fine in terms of safety.  You may run into heat issues on long uphills on hot days, though, especially on the transmission.  It does have a transmission temperature sensor and will warn you if it's getting too hot and you can pull over for a while, but overheating regularly is likely to shorten the life of the transmission.

ManWithaVan
ManWithaVan's picture
Lifetime Member
Adding a Transmission Cooler

You can easily add a Transmission Cooler to most vehicles (which I strongly recommend).

If the only differences between "Tow Package" and no "Tow Package" are higher capacity Alternator and Radiator, plus the Transmission Cooler, you can easily add these as "After Market" parts. I would definitely add the Transmission Cooler and seriously consider replacing the Alternator. I might not replace the Radiator unless the old one went bad, however, I would try to upgrade to the higher capacity Radiator if mine needed to be replaced.

As Always,

Happy Scamping !!!