Dometic Catalina 2500 awning

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
gene2x
Dometic Catalina 2500 awning

Tried to follow the instructions to open the awning on our new/used 2001 16' Scamp but could not get the wand to go into the hole. About half the hole is blocked by something on both sides and the wand won't move whatever it is. I hesitated to put as much pressure on the wand as I could until I could figure out what the problem is. I've attached a photo showing the hole the wand goes into. Anyone had a similar problem?

Gene Spinner

genesxtra@gmail.com

Grand Junction, CO 

BDeaton
Lifetime Member
Opening Awning Hint

We have a 13 footer and I can stand on the ground and reach everything on our Dometic Awning.  I never use that long tool that came with our Lil Critter. (actually, never is not true...I have used that pole as a dog thumper when an aggresive dog bothers me and my pets during our walks.  Once used it on a coyote at Big Bend Park in Texas.  LOL)   I use the needle nose pliers on my Leatherman tool which I always have with me (part of my clothing).  Easy to stick the skinny nose of the pliers into the hole by the awning foot and pull sidewise to get the folded awning foot out of its retaining slot.  I do not know how much higher the 16 footers are.  You may need to stand on a stool or something.

Some times a small pebble will get into the hinged foot on the awning.  That may be what is partially blocking the leg hole however, when I have that happen, I cannot fold the foot all the way to get it into the retaining slot in the awning case bracket.  (the foot and slot is located behind the arrow in your photo.

There is no reason you have to stick something into that hole (no lock in there) to open the awning.  The legs stay in the bracket because they are spring loaded so you need to pry them either forward or backward out of the retaining slots.  I would take a straight slotted screwdriver and gently pry the leg foot pictured to the right while watching the entire leg possibly seeing what is binding it.  I'll bet a dime (all I ever bet) that the foot is simply deformed and is jammed into the retaining bracket slot.

It is easy to straighten the aluminum foot after you get it out of that bracket.  I use those Leatherman pliers to do it very frequently. 

Bob D
2005 13' Scamp  "Lil Critter"
Brenda, AZ

denswaer
opening the Dometic Awning

Thank you BDeaton.  I have also been trying to get the awning open on a recently purchased 1999 16 Scamp by sticking something into the hole near the foot.  Your explanation of the spring loaded leg solved my "operator error" issue.