Ball mount shank length for 2018 Honda Pilot and Scamp 16

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
angle77
Ball mount shank length for 2018 Honda Pilot and Scamp 16

Our tow vehicle is a 2018 Honda Pilot for a Scamp 16 to be picked up in November.  Does anyone know what ball mount shank length is needed to make sure the rear hatch on the car can be opened when the trailer is attached?  I'm guessing the trailer tongue jack and handle is a potential clearance item as well as the propane tank.  Or does anyone know where to find the detailed dimensions for the tongue area of a Scamp 16?

salukispeed
guessing

I am guessing based on my 2019 13 and the jack and front never even comes close to the hatch on my Crosstrek or Outback lots of clearance for ours. Unless the pilot has a sideways opening gate I cant imagine an issue needing a longer hitch/shank. 

2019 Scamp 13 standard

viking65
Hitch and rear hatch clearance

I tow my 13" Scamp with a 2013 Honda Pilot.  There is plenty room between the front jack, propane bottle  and hatch opening.  I use a Curt slide in hitch with a 6" drop.  The Honda Pilot is a great tow vehicle.  We just returned from a 3,600 mile trip to the Seattle area (we live in MN).  Very comfortable trip with a the Scamp and the Honda.  You will enjoy the time with your Scamp.  Happy trails.

angle77
Thanks for the info.  Based

Thanks for the info.  Based on your feedback I'm sure I'll be fine with a std. ball mount.  Looking forward to picking up our Scamp.  The Pilot is new to us too and so far it is great!

JFreed
JFreed's picture
Lifetime Member
ball mount shank

Any would work--lots of room there.  My Pilot is a 2015.  Try to get a drop that will allow you to see out of the back windows of the Scamp--may avoid a rear-end collision someday.  My past experience--curtains were closed, cost me the camp and expensive repairs  to the back of the vehicle when the Scamp jumped the hitch.

salukispeed
break away

Our 13 with electric brakes did not come with a break away switch  and When I realized it I ordered and installed one . It uses the house battery as the power source. . Just incase it ever tries to escape.  

2019 Scamp 13 standard