Ford F-150 towing Scamp 19 / scamp 5er

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
sheedsshadow
sheedsshadow's picture
Ford F-150 towing Scamp 19 / scamp 5er

Hello,

I'm new here and a fairly recent owner of a 2009 scamp 19 / 5er. My tow vehicle is a 2018 F-150 super crew w/short bed. I've been looking to get the new scamp hitch compared to the old school non removing hitch that I have. Does anyone have a similar build and has installed the new hitch on there own. I'm looking for photos as well to show how it's mounted. The instructions that the scamp company sent were near useless and I want to figure out how to mount the parts under the bed to the frame of the truck for support. Please link any products you used and photos. Attached is the photo of the old style hitch that I received from the last owner. Many thanks in advance.

ac0gv
ac0gv's picture
F150 rail video

I’ve not done it, but it looks like a standard rail mount. The web page says, “You will receive hitch, universal rails, universal mounting brackets, clevis pins and mounting hardware”. I would think it will mount like any other set of rails. For people new to Scamp, remember, a Scamp 5th wheel is not a 5th wheel by anyone else’s standards, it is an elevated ball hitch. I would call Scamp and ask them about ball placement over the axle. I like placement just ahead of the rear axle to get some weight onto the front axle if you have the clearance.

There is a video on this page.

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-reese-fifth-wheel-installation-kit-2...

sheedsshadow
sheedsshadow's picture
thank you

Thank you for the post. I was going to go with the reese hitch, but I did not want to sink another +$700 into getting a new hitch when I have the one I do that I can make work. I decided not to go with the measurements from scamp for better clearance. Seeing that the tongue weight isn't much and I can put brackets to support the hitch with my own steel brackets. Hoping it all works out.

<p>-Sheed</p>

George n Mary
George n Mary's picture
Ball location on a full size pick up

I doubt very much that you will be able to have the ball location above or in front of the rear axle as we would like for a full size 5th wheel mount. Keep in mind that location is for hitch systems rated for 24-25,000 pounds and our Scamps are only around 3500 with a tongue weight of less than 500 pounds. The location of the ball is found by dropping your tailgate to the open position and then measuring 59 1/2"  from one corner of the tail gate forward towards the center of your bed then again from the other corner of the tail gate. This will give you proper clearance in case you have your tailgate down while maneuvering your 5th Wheel Scamp. I chose not to use Scamps hitch but built my own very simply by welding an adjustable hight bumper hitch to a Curt bent plate hitch base to use in the rail system.

sheedsshadow
sheedsshadow's picture
ball position

would you know why the general rule for the ball position is 59 1/2" or 60"? I decided to go with 53". It gives me clearance from the neck and space from the camper. I am able to secure brackets to the frame for the support just fine. I just see people point this number out everywhere, but it would make the camper too close for comfort with my vehicle.

<p>-Sheed</p>

George n Mary
George n Mary's picture
Ball Position

The idea is to have the ball located as far forward as possible and still alow adequate clearance between the tow vehicle and your Scamp. The farther forward the ball the more your 5th wheel will pull as a 5th wheel. The more rearward your unit will pull more similar to a bumper pull. 

BandDscamp
Diagonal clearnace

Sheedsshadow, the "60 inch rule" is for clearance to the corners of the tow vehicle. Measure diagonally from the ball out to each corner. As long as you have less than 60", you're safe. You just can't go any farther forward than the 60" diagonal measurement.

Now, there is no "rule" that Scamp has regarding how far rearward you need to go. Several calls over the summer got me the proverbial shrug from them. Cab clearance and placement over the axle are competing necessities.

sheedsshadow
sheedsshadow's picture
thank you for the info!

thank you for the info!

<p>-Sheed</p>

landyacht
landyacht's picture
S-19 Gooseneck

I really Like George & Marys simple effective solution for an adjustable hitch...

I was really disappointed with Scamps setup as it is not easily adaptable to various vehicles so its coming off.

I am struggling along designing and building a hitch system for my "new" 2015 S-19. I am going to do the 4" lift + 15" wheels by building a subframe instead of spacers and then I will cut off the "Scamp Hitch" system weld on two 3x4" steel angle bar flanges onto the steel plate below the forward berth which will allow me to bolt on any sort of Hitch I want to use or build. I am going to build a 2 5/16" "Gooseneck" adjustable height hitch with a 12-16" setback which keeps the load on the Factory "Puck" hitch system. ( rated at 16,000#) This will give me use of the majority of the trucks bed and I can use the Goosneck " top rail for a kayak or Bicycle rack system, and I will still have the pivot point above the rear axles which make it easy to jackknife it in the bush. Plus any stock high sided pickup with a 2-5/16 ball will be able to pull it stock.

Will post pics of the project...