2019 Scamp Camp SouthWest - Pre-Christmas in Cottonwood

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
Greg A
Greg A's picture
SOI-AdministratorLifetime Member
2019 Scamp Camp SouthWest - Pre-Christmas in Cottonwood

Dates: December 6th, 2019 to December 8th, 2019 Optional Early bird arrival on December 5th, 2019

Make your plans for this SOI gathering to get in the Christmas spirit. All brands of molded fiberglass trailers are welcome! This will be the 6th Annual Scamp Camp Southwest. We are changing the gathering up this year as we have done the Sedona Festival of Lights pre-Christmas event for 5 years and now we are going to be doing something new and different for this years gathering.

CAMPGROUND INFORMATION:

We will be staying at Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood, AZ which is an awesome campground.

https://azstateparks.com/dead-horse/

The campground is reservable and you'll need to make reservations ASAP as the winter snowbirds start booking this campground out that time of year.  The reservations can be made at:

https://azstateparks.com/reserve/dead-horse/camping/  We will be booking the "Coopers Hawk Loop" which is the top one on the mountain with 270 degree views of Cottonwood, Clarkdale, Sedona, and Jerome. Sunsets and nighttime are gorgeous at the campground. If "Coopers Hawk" is full the next to book is "Red Tail Hawk Loop." Not as good of views from there, but still a quick walk to the main gathering.

• Directions to Dead Horse Ranch State Park from Interstate 17 traveling North from Phoenix:
  • Take Exit 287 at Camp Verde. Proceed West to Cottonwood on SR260 (approximately 15 miles) to SR89A/Main Street. At the traffic light turn to left onto SR89A. After 2 miles turn right on 10th Street (just past the sign that says Dead Horse Ranch State Park/Riverfront Park). The Ranger Station is a mile down the road on the right, just after crossing the bridge over the Verde River.
  • Directions to Dead Horse Ranch State Park from Interstate 17 traveling South from Flagstaff:
  • Take exit 293 - Lake Montezuma/McGuireville. Proceed West approximately 15 miles to Cottonwood. The road is known as the Cornville Road. Stay on the Cornville Road - as it crosses SR89A it will change names and become Mingus Avenue. At Main Street in Cottonwood turn right and go about half a mile to 10th Street (just past the sign that says Dead Horse Ranch State Park/Riverfront Park). Turn right. The Ranger Station is a mile down the road on the right, just after crossing the bridge over the Verde River.

Please email us info@scampowners.com with First names, Space #, Trailer model, year, and State you are coming from.

We do not pack the schedule full of SOI activities beyond Meet and Greet and trailer tours, as this area of Arizona is loaded with activities and tours of things to see.  Keep an eye on this thread as we will be posting information on Early Bird Dinner, Wine Tours, Tuzigoot tours, Jerome tours, Clarkdale Train tours, etc.  If you are able to attend, please let us know by either replying here via the SOI forum or by emailing your name, trailer, state, and space # to info@scampowners.com.  We hope you can join us!

johnchooch
johnchooch's picture
HI Greg...Suzanne and I have

HI Greg...Suzanne and I have reserved space #110, for the Cottonwood Gathering.  We have an 13', 1987 Deluxe we call Pete, and will be coming down from Gardnerville, NV., just south of Carson City.  We're excited as this will the first Gathering we will be attending.  We can't wait.

See you then....

John & Suzanne Tsoutsouvas (chew-cha-vus)

Greg A
Greg A's picture
Scamp Camp SW

You will love this campground and the area! Look forward to meeting you and checking out Pete. I'll be posting up the activities soon, so keep an eye, it is going to be quite diverse with AZ culture and history.

Our Trailers:
2015 19 Escape

Buying or Selling Molded FG Trailers:

Fiberglass-RV-4Sale

lkarpiak
Scamp Camp SW

Hi Greg & Janea    I have reserved spot 106  Dec.6th to the 9th    Picked up my brand new 2019 13 ft Scamp in Backus this past weekend and I'm ready for my first group gathering in December. I'm from Gimli Manitoba, Canada (home of the world famous Crown Royal Rye Whiskey)   I winter every year in San Tan Valley Az and this year I'm bringing my Scamp to Az  doing the entire west coast to get there.   So looking forward to Cottonwood. 

Greg A
Greg A's picture
Scamp Camp SW

Hi Larry,

We have quite a few of our neighbors to the North at the Quartzsite gathering and a few that have wandered through Scamp Camp SW in the years past. Are you slipping some of the Crown through customs on your trip down? wink

Look forward to meeting you and seeing your brand new 13.

Our Trailers:
2015 19 Escape

Fiberglass-RV-4Sale

Flyboyscamp
Flyboyscamp's picture
Lifetime Member
Hi Greg, you live so far west

Hi Greg, you live so far west, you never heard of winter, or winterizing a trailer. No, we cannot attend as our trailer shall be pickled away with that pink stuff. Also, the roads between here and there are subject to heavy winter precip.

<p>Doug Allen 2016 Ford F-150 2018 Lance 1575</p>

TomBalmer
Lifetime Member
Scampcamp SouthWest

Greg, Your mail ended up in my junk folder and I didn't see it until today. Both the areas you mentioned are not shown on the reservations page. Did you pre-reserve any spaces? Edit: Didn't click through far enough, found it. Joy and Tom Balmer are joining from Santa Rosa, CA, with a Scamp 16, campsite 103. We'll arrive Thursday, and depart Sunday.

Tom

The cool kids play outside.

treelama
Lifetime Member
Scamp Camp 2019

Katy and Jerry White are joining from Midway, Utah. We have a 1993 Scamp 16 Deluxe towed by a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017. License is Llama 1. We are arriving Thursday and departing Sunday. Have reserved site number 92.   Would like to join a wine tasting tour and visit to Tuzigoot. Looking forward to meeting everyone!  Katy

<p>Katy and Jerry White Midway, Utah</p>

Joy A.
Joy A.'s picture
Lifetime Member
ScampCamp SW

Joy and Hey You (new puppy as of Weds) and ”PUFF” will be in 12/5 out 12/9.   Site #105.    From Everywhere USA (formerly Sonora,Ca)  Address is actually SD 

See you folks there

Joy A. & Olive

2001 13 Scamp "Puff"

Full-timer

2019 1500 Ram Longhorn

SOI #168

Greg A
Greg A's picture
Welcome

Glad to add Tom & Joy; Katy & Jerry; Steve & Ginny; and Joy & Hey You to our Scamp Camp. It will be wonderful to catch up with each of you again and looking forward to it.

Our Trailers:
2015 19 Escape

Fiberglass-RV-4Sale

Greg A
Greg A's picture
Thursday Dutch Dinner

For those of you arriving on Thursday we do an informal dutch dinner out if interested in attending.

Here are some local places that we enjoy in the area:

Oldtown Cottownwood not far from the campground

https://nicsaz.com/menu

http://merkinvineyardsosteria.com/

https://www.colt804.com/

http://azhogwild.com/

https://thetaverngrille.com/

Clarkdale - about 10 minutes from campground

This Mexican Restaurant consistently is voted #1 in the entire Verde Valley and is one of our personal favorites.

https://sucasaofclarkdale.com/

Take a look through these and we'll have a confab and vote on Thursday where we want to go for Dinner and fun, then back to campground for a nice evening campfire.

Our Trailers:
2015 19 Escape

Fiberglass-RV-4Sale

Pages